Based on a 2012 survey that Wyndham commissioned with the travel consulting firm PhoCusWright, Wyndham cites a number of important findings. The most important finding from their perspective, concerns the strong appeal of "a hotel-branded vacation rental company" to consumers.
They further cite that 86% of non-frequent vacation home renters say that they are more likely to rent from a hotel-branded vacation rental, because they like consistency in features and service. This suggests that those who don't rent vacation homes often are worried that they won't be satisfied with the quality of their vacation home rental experiences - a concern that is also supported by other studies.
More specifically, those who responded to the survey said they would like the hotel-branded option because:
• I would know what standard to expect from a home
• It would be easier to contact someone with longer business hours
• It would be easier to search and book online
• A home would have more service options like housekeeping and check-in
• There would be more information and pictures available online
• I know I would have recourse if I needed help
PhoCusWright says that there are 20 million non-frequent vacation renters who would spend over $12 billion dollars each year to stay in short term rental homes. According to their numbers, capturing these additional customers for the vacation rental sector would just about double the amount of money spent on vacation rentals in the US each year.
• Assistance from a knowledgeable customer service team before, during and after their stay
• Easily search from property descriptions that are detailed and accurate
• Choose from a diverse selection of distinctive vacation accommodations
• Book confidently in real time and pay online
• A clean, regularly inspected vacation rental